Jolenta Greenberg talks about what it’s like to live her life one self-help book at a time. I also share some early feedback from a listener and chat with Kathleen Trotter about how to get started with a fitness routine.
Thanks for listening. Please subscribe!
Episode 5 Show Notes
[00:00] Welcome and Intro
[00:54] Featured interview with Jolenta Greenberg
Jolenta is host of the By The Book podcast. Every two weeks Jolenta and her co-host Kristen Meinzer pick one self-help book, read it, and follow its instructions precisely. She’s also a stand-up comedian and storyteller based in New York City. Jolenta is author of Modern Harpies – a book she wrote while she was living for two weeks as an ebook author as part of the podcast.
- Self help books are appealing because the promise magic
- Is the Self-help book industry a racket?
- Favorite and least favorite books lived on the podcast?
- Why diet books should not be considered self help
- What’s in store for season 2?
- Books featured on season one of by the book and referenced in this podcast:
[23:30] Jolenta Greenberg’s Instruction Manual
1. What are the habits you maintain every day to stay happy and healthy?
- Drink a huge glass of water every day when you first get up
- Tries to make time every day for physical activity
- Spend time with an animal every day
2. What personal development book do you recommend?
- A blank journal
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
3. Favorite inspirational quote?
- “The smartest people always ask the best questions” – Jolenta’s dad
4. What’s your one guilty pleasure?
- Reality TV
5. When your time comes, how do you want to be remembered?
- “I want to be remembered for helping people feel not alone.”
[27:35] Where to find Jolenta
- Podcast: By The Book
- Podcast Twitter: @ByTheBookPod
- Jolenta Twitter: @JolentaG
- Jolenta’s website: JolentaGreenberg.com
- Jolenta’s book: Modern Harpies: Why loving The Real Housewives means you’re cultured AF
[28:45] I share some early listener feedback
[30:40] Chat with regular fitness contributor Kathleen Trotter
Kathleen Trotter is author of Finding Your Fit: A Compassionate Trainer’s Guide to Making Fitness a Lifelong Habit
- Fitness goals vs. fitness wishes
- Your fitness routine needs to be consistent and convenient
- Don’t aim for perfection when working out; a little is better than nothing
- Where to find Kathleen [35:18]