There’s nothing like a hot fresh cup of coffee in the morning. Even when I have a hard day ahead, the thought of my first sip of Joe is enough to get me out of bed. It’s just one of the reasons why I’m grateful for mornings.
Today marks 14 months since my little sister gave me a second chance at life when she donated one of her kidneys to me. Each month, I take some time to reflect and give thanks for all that I have in life.
So why am I grateful for mornings? Well, first off, I’m a morning person. I admit, this probably makes loving mornings a little easier for me.
Here are five more reasons I’m grateful for mornings.
- I’m grateful to be alive. In the weeks before my kidney transplant, fears about my health were at an all-time high. It probably wasn’t reasonable, but there were nights when I went to bed worried that I might not wake up in the morning. No matter what else goes wrong, every day I wake up is a good day.
- I’m grateful for fresh starts. Even if I didn’t live my best life yesterday, that’s okay. It’s in the past. I wake up each morning with a fresh start and the freedom to choose how I want to live today.
- I’m grateful for help. Mornings are an especially chaotic time for a special-needs family like ours. My son Bryson needs help with just everything from eating to getting dressed to toileting. Before we had help, Laura and I did this all on our own. As a result, we would often start our work days exhausted. Now, Bryson has a terrific personal support worker who comes by for an hour every morning. It makes life so much easier!
- I’m grateful for morning moments. Mornings are fast-paced at our house. There’s no time for sitting down to enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Within the chaos, however, there can be moments of meaningful connection: when Laura asks me to do up the clasp on her necklace, when I give Bryson a quick snuggle, and when I drive my teenage son Connor to school.
- And yes, I’m grateful for coffee. I like the way coffee tastes and I like the way coffee makes me feel alive in the morings. But I’m also grateful at how easy it is to make. I have a wonderful Chemex pour-over coffee maker that I use to make an incredible pot of coffee on special occasions. But mostly I use my Keurig to make a quick cup.
What about you? Are you grateful for mornings? What else are you grateful for today?
INSTANT ACCESS TO GRATITUDE!
Get a free sample chapter from my new book. Read the PDF or listen to the MP3 of "Step 5: Embrace Gratitude"
So much to be grateful for. Your sister did a wonderful thing.
I am always grateful to my parents. To meditation. To the Divine for always being therefote me and directing my path.
Yes, my sister is a hero. Like me, you have a wonderful list of things to be grateful for.
I’m grateful for poetry and my parents. Missed you, by the way!
I’m grateful for your parents too Tanushka! They made you, you!
Aww that’s so sweet!