Kristen Meinzer, co-host of the By The Book podcast, shares her picks for best and worst self-help books. And host Keith McArthur speaks with Joelle Anderson about how mindfulness and meditation can help with insomnia.
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Android
Thanks for listening. Please subscribe!
Episode 45 Show Notes
[00:00] Welcome and Intro
[3:00] Featured interview with Kristen Meinzer
Kristen is co-host of the By the Book podcast. Kristen works full-time in the podcast industry as a producer and host.
In this conversation, Keith and Kristen discuss:
- How Kristen’s background as a critic affects how she approaches self-help books [4:47]
- When Kristen the skeptic goes woo-woo [6:30]
- Past Lives, Future Healing by Sylvia Browne
- Gratitude and kindness as universal keys to happiness [7:12]
- Kristen’s favorite books from the podcast [8:20]
- Kristen’s Least Favorite books from the podcast
- Kristen on meditation [12:50]
[15:18] Kristen’s Instruction Manual
1. What are the habits you maintain every day to stay happy and healthy? [15:40]
- Brings her portable travel mug everywhere
- Wears sunscreen every day
2. What personal development book do you recommend? [15:43]
- Dream More by Dolly Parton
3. Favorite personal mantra / inspirational quote [19:06]
- “Most people aren’t talking about you. And that’s a good thing.” — Kristen’s nana.
4. What’s your one guilty pleasure? [20:08]
- Frozen margaritas
5. When your time comes, how do you want to be remembered? [20:55]
- As being kind and joyful and as someone who wore vibrant-colored mini-skirts until she died.
[22:05] Where to find Kristen
[22:53] Mindfulness contributor Joelle Anderson on Insomnia
Joelle Anderson is a therapist specializing in mindfulness meditation and creator and host of the Kernel of Wisdom YouTube channel.
In this conversation, Keith and Joelle discuss:
- How regular meditation can prevent insomnia [23:58]
- How meditation can help in the moment when you’re experiencing insomnia [24:41]
- Where to find Joelle [27:10]