Gretchen Rubin is one of the biggest names in self help, but she’s also special to me on a personal level.
After my little sister gave me a second chance at life last year, I read everything I could get my hands on about how to be happier and healthier.
One of the first books I read — and the one that made the biggest impact on me — was Gretchen Rubin’s The Happiness Project.
Over the past few months, I’ve been getting to know Gretchen’s work in even more detail as I researched wrote my new book Winning Resolutions: Achieve Your Biggest Goals and Wildest Dreams Once and For All.
Gretchen Rubin joins me on this episode of the podcast to talk about her four tendencies framework and how it can help you keep your resolutions. And fitness contributor Kathleen Trotter shares what she says are the three pillars of a balanced fitness routine.
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Android
Thanks for listening. Please subscribe!
Episode 50 Show Notes
[00:00] Welcome and Intro
- Winning Resolutions will be released on December 11, but it’s available for pre-order now.
- Order on Amazon
- Order on Kobo
- Order at Barnes & Noble
- To get a pile of pre-order bonuses, go to MyInstructionManual.com/resolutions
[4:02] Featured interview with Gretchen Rubin
In this conversation, Keith and Gretchen discuss:
- The TV program This Time Next Year (see YouTube clip below) [5:35]
- How Gretchen discovered the Four Tendencies [7:09]
- Gretchen provides an overview of the Four Tendencies [8:04]
- Upholders, obliger, rebels, questioners
- Outer + inner expectations
- Gretchen and Keith are both upholders [11:06]
- Obligers [13:20]
- Questioners [18:50]
- How the tendencies overlap [23:07]
- Rebels [28:00]
[34:33] Where to find Gretchen
- Website: GretchenRubin.com
- Four Tendencies quiz: Quiz.GretchenRubin.com
- Instagram: @gretchenrubin
- Twitter: @gretchenrubin
- Podcast: Happier with Gretchen Rubin
[34:33] Fitness contributor Kathleen Trotter on her three pillars of a balanced fitness routine
Kathleen Trotter is author of Finding Your Fit: A Compassionate Trainer’s Guide to Making Fitness a Lifelong Habit
In this conversation, Keith and Kathleen discuss:
- Why a balanced fitness routine is critical [35:00]
- Pillar 1: cardiovascular [36:00]
- Pillar 2: strength training [38:42]
- Pillar 3: flexibility + mobility [40:05]
- Where to find Kathleen [42:25]