What exactly is willpower and how do we get more of it? Willpower researcher Michael Inzlicht joins host Keith McArthur to talk about his research into self-control, and why the best way to master willpower might be to avoid having to rely on it.
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Android
Thanks for listening. Please subscribe!
Episode 59 Show Notes
[00:00] Welcome and Intro
- Walter Mischel and the Marshmallow test [2:15]
- Roy Baumeister and Ego Depletion [4:55]
[7:40] Featured interview with Michael Inzlicht
Michael Inzlicht is a professor of social psychology at the University of Toronto with a focus on the study of self-control. He is co-host of the Two Psychologists, Four Beers podcast.
In this conversation, Keith and Michael discuss:
- How Michael got into researching willpower [8:00]
- Is glucose the “limited resource” that leads to ego depletion? [12:30]
- Inzlicht’s research into self-control and emotion [18:00]
- What can we do to boost self-control? [22:00]