Cait Flanders gave up shopping (and take out coffee) for a year. It turned out to be the most difficult year of her life — and not for the reasons you’d expect. Cait Flanders is the author of The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life is Worth More than Anything You Can Buy in a Store. She joins us today to talk about her shopping ban, and the important life lessons she learned along the way.
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Android
Thanks for listening. Please subscribe!
Episode 62 Show Notes
[00:00] Welcome and Intro
[1:53] Featured interview with Cait
In this conversation, Keith and Cait discuss:
- How Cait got out of debt before the Year of Less
- The rules behind Cait’s shopping ban
- How the shopping ban got harder as Cait’s life got harder when Cait lerned her parents were getting divorced
- Cait’s Black Friday slip
- What Cait learned from the shopping ban
- Why the shopping ban was more of a browsing ban
[32:30] Cait’s Instruction Manual
1. What are the habits you maintain every day to stay happy and healthy?
- Go for a walk or hike every day
- Go to bed early and wake up naturally
2. What personal development book do you recommend?
- Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig
3. Favorite personal mantra / inspirational quote
- “We need much less than we think we need.” attributed to Maya Angelou, but source not available
- “What consumes your mind controls your life.” Cait adds “and your finances.”
4. What’s your one guilty pleasure?
- Taking a long Epson Salt bath
5. When your time comes, how do you want to be remembered?
- As someone who helped people to realize that it’s possible to change your life, but it’s not always going to be easy.