Laura Vanderkam, author of Off the Clock, talks about her new fable/novel Juliet’s School of Possibilities. And host Keith McArthur puts fitness contributor Kathleen Trotter on the hot seat with a series of rapid-fire questions.
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Android
Thanks for listening. Please subscribe!
Episode 64 Show Notes
[00:00] Welcome and Intro
[2:50] Featured interview with Laura Vanderkam
Laura is author of several productivity and time management books. Her most recent book is Juliet’s School of Possibilities. Her TED Talk on how to gain control of your free time (embedded below) has been viewed more than 10-million times. Laura is also the co-host of the Best of Both Worlds podcast.
Laura first appeared in episode 44.
In this conversation, Keith and Laura discuss:
- Why Laura chose to write a fiction book about productivity
- The importance of “forest time”
- The novel’s main lesson: “Expectations are infinite. Time is Finite. We are always choosing. Choose well.
- How to deal with infinite expectations
- The folly of inbox zero
- Every moment is a choice
- Laura’s podcast “Best of Both Worlds.”
[18:55] Laura’s Instruction Manual, Part II
1. If you had to pick one music album as the soundtrack to your life, what would it be?
- Indigo Girls Greatest Hits
2. What’s one personal development myth you want to dispel?
- That getting to “inbox zero” is a worthwhile goal
3. Name one unusual or surprising gadget you couldn’t live without.
- Her plug-in griddle for pancakes and grilled cheese sandwiches
4. What does a “bad day” look like to you and what are the steps you take to turn it around?
- A day when there’s frustrations with things out of your control like a plane delay.
5. What is your biggest goal or wildest dream?
- To keep writing fiction and non-fiction
[26:20] Where to find Laura
- Website: lauravanderkam.com
[27:15] Fitness contributor Kathleen Trotter takes rapid-fire questions
Kathleen Trotter is author of Finding Your Fit: A Compassionate Trainer’s Guide to Making Fitness a Lifelong Habit
In this conversation, Keith and Kathleen discuss:
- Why Kathleen packs bell peppers in her purse
- Why the #fitness hashtag makes Kathleen wants to follow someone
- The best places in the world to run
- Where to find Kathleen
- Instagram: KathleenTrotterFitness
- Twitter: KTrotterFitness
- Facebook: KathleenTrotter
Feedback & Connect
- Subscribe to My Instruction Manual on Apple Podcasts or on Android
- Email: email@example.com
- Keith on Twitter: @KeithMcArthur
- Join our Facebook page
- Check out our Pinterest page: myinstructionmanual