I’ve gone through some tough experiences in my life. When my kidney failed a couple of years back, my body and mind began to break down. I knew that without a transplant or dialysis I would die.
My experience as a father has also been particularly challenging. My son Bryson has a rare genetic condition that prevents him from being able to walk or talk or feed himself. These were unusual experiences, and people tell me they can’t imagine having to go through them.
But perhaps even harder is something that almost everyone has to go through. Five years ago this spring, I lost my dad.
On this episode of the My Instruction Manual podcast, I speak with Lara Casanova about grieving. Lara lost her own father in 2016, and she’s the author of Grief, Grace and Gratitude.
I also speak with personal trainer Kathleen Trotter about why journaling about feelings is critical to fitness success.
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Android
Thanks for listening. Please subscribe!
Episode 69 Show Notes
[00:00] Welcome and Intro
[1:03] Featured interview with Lara Casanova
Lara Casanova is author of Grief, Grace and Gratitude. She lost her father in 2016. Lara is the author of several books including 2018’s Grief, Grace and Gratitude: Transforming Through Your Grief Journey. She lives in Australia.
In this conversation, Keith and Lara discuss:
- What Lara learned from the death of her father
- Lara’s five stages of the grief
- Becoming aware
- Taking responsibility
- Feeling the feelings & being present with them
- Forgiving ourselves and any others
- Accepting where our life is at
- Being “pink” as meaning being healthy
- The importance of being grateful for what our loved ones leave behind when they die
- How death can be a catalyst for us to live our own life better
[13:25] Lara’s Instruction Manual
1. What are the habits you maintain every day to stay happy and healthy?
- Mindful Eating
- Practicing yoga
- Spending time in nature
- Drinking lots of water
- Getting lots of sleep
- Doing something every day that connects with heart
2. What personal development book do you recommend?
- In the Meantime. Finding Yourself in the Love You Want by Iyanla Vanzant
3. Favorite personal mantra / inspirational quote
- Love, truth and purpose
4. What’s your one guilty pleasure?
- Chips and chocolate
5. When your time comes, how do you want to be remembered?
- To have had a big heart and have been a role model and inspiration for others
Where to find Lara
- Website: lifeinthepink.com.au
- Facebook: inthepink
[20:14] Fitness contributor Kathleen Trotter on Fitness Journals
Kathleen Trotter is author of Your Fittest Future Self: Making Choices Today for a Happier, Healthier, Fitter Future You.
In this conversation, Keith and Kathleen discuss:
- Food journaling is proven to lead to weight loss
- The importance of journaling about feelings for fitness success
- Electronic vs. paper journals
- Where to find Kathleen
- Instagram: KathleenTrotterFitness
- Twitter: KTrotterFitness
- Facebook: KathleenTrotter
[34:11] Closing words
Feedback & Connect
- Subscribe to My Instruction Manual on Apple Podcasts or on Android
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keith on Twitter: @KeithMcArthur
- Join our Facebook page
- Check out our Pinterest page: myinstructionmanual