Morra Aarons-Mele, author of Hiding in the Bathroom, explains why people suffering from anxiety might make better leaders. And host Keith McArthur speaks with nutrition contributor Michelle Jaelin about gut health.
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Android
Thanks for listening. Please subscribe!
Episode 70 Show Notes
[00:00] Welcome and Intro
[2:40] Featured interview with Morra Aarons-Mele
Morra is author of Hiding in the Bathroom: An Introvert’s Roadmap to Getting Out There (When You’d Rather Stay Home). She lives in Boston and runs Women Online, a social media communications firm.
In this conversation, Keith and Morra discuss:
- Why this decade may be remembered as the anxious teens
- How the 2016 election, scarcity, and technology are leading to increased anxiety
- How anxiety can make you a better leader
- Are introverts more likely to be anxious?
- Elizabeth Holmes of Theranos as poster woman of entrepreneurship porn.
- Morra references The Dropout podcast. (Since I interviewed Morra I’ve listened to the podcast and I highly recommend it, but I couldn’t get through the HBO documentary about Elizabeth Holmes)
[21:10] Morra’s Instruction Manual, Part II
1. If you had to pick one music album as the soundtrack to your life, what would it be?
- Sargeant Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band
2. What’s one personal development myth you want to dispel?
- That you’ll ever get to a point where you’re not working through some major stuff
3. Name one unusual or surprising gadget you couldn’t live without.
- Immersion blender
4. What does a “bad day” look like to you and what are the steps you take to turn it around?
- When she wakes up and feels like there’s concrete in her body. Feels sad and low and like she can’t move her body. Exercise helps her to make it through the day.
5. What is your biggest goal or wildest dream?
- To triple revenues of her company over the next few years, and to do a podcast with real leaders who will talk about mental health and anxiety.
Where to find Morra
[32:10] Nutrition contributor Michelle Jaelin on Gut Health
Michelle Jaelin is both a trained artist and a Registered Dietitian who is known as The NutritionArtist. She appears regularly as in newspapers, magazines and on television as an expert in healthy eating.
In this conversation, Keith and Michelle discuss:
- How gut health impacts emotional and physical health
- What to eat to promote gut health
- Where to find Michelle: